When I talk to potential clients about creating a website for their business one question is repeated over and over: “what can a website do for me?” This question is very common especially for older more established businesses who have been around for a long time. They don’t see the need for a website because they have been doing business for so many years without one.
I don’t particularly like trying to convince a business to develop a website but I have found what they are looking for is just a bit of information about the value of a website.
Here is a brief overview of 5 benefits that can be derived from developing a website for your businesses.
- Be Found – the internet is a very powerful and often used tool; it is not unusual for most people to go to the internet first when searching for a product or service. When they do an internet search for a product or service you sell, will they find you?
- Cost Effective and Flexible Advertising – how much do you spend on advertising on the radio, television, or in newspapers for a year? Would you say $10,000, $5,000, $1,000, $500? Would you believe that you can have your website up and running for an entire year for around $500? Not only is a website affordable it is also quite flexible. You can add pictures, videos, and more any time you want. You can also have a personal dialog with your customers as often as you wish whether that would be once a week or even 2-3 times a week. You are in control of how often you connect with your customers and it doesn’t cost you anything extra.
- ‘Round the Clock Customer Service – there have been a number of times that I have not been able to sleep and was sitting at the computer working at 2 in the morning. From time to time I run across a problem or question and want to connect with someone that can assist me. Of course most businesses are not open at those hours but I have found it quite convenient to be able to visit their website and send them an e-mail so they can get back to me in the morning with the information I need. How much would this be worth to you to be able to have your customers connect with you at any time of the day or night?
- Product Research – one of the conveniences of the internet is to be able to compare different products in a matter of minutes by simply typing in the product name or description and clicking through a variety of websites. Many times if a customer finds information they need about a product on a particular website they will most likely purchase that product right from that website or company if it is available through them. This can be a very valuable service to offer to your customers.
- Build Relationships – people like to do business with people they know. Websites, especially ones with a blog, are a very good medium to help customers get to know your business. If you simply have the basic web pages on your website they can at the very least see pictures of your business and staff, read about the company history, and learn more about the products and services you sell. If you add a blog to the mix they can also get regular information about whatever it is that you choose to talk about on your blog. This type of interaction helps customers get to know you.
What benefits are most appealing to your business? What is stopping you from reaching out to your customers today? Business websites give you the ability to reach your customers in a way they are reaching out to you.